Subbing, production and layouts
Need a freelance sub- or production editor? Look no further.
I'm an experienced, trained sub and proofreader based in south-east London and available for in-house shifts throughout the capital as well as for remote work from my own office. I can rewrite articles from scratch, check for accuracy and legal problems, liaise with authors for clarification and corrections, or simply scan pieces for literals and sense.
I can design and lay out pages using
- Quark 3.1-9 for Mac/Windows (remotely: 5.0-8 for Mac)
- InDesign 1.0-CS5.5 for Mac/Windows (remotely: CS5.5 for Mac)
- PageMaker 4-6.5
and standard apps such as Photoshop and Illustrator, then proof, amend, pre-flight and send pages to print or PDF.
If you need that little bit more, I can source pictures, page-plan whole magazines, and deal with ad production and printers.
I'm fast since I've worked on daily newspapers, I know the programs inside out - I used to be a QuarkXPress instructor - on both Mac and PC and my rates are reasonable.
- Proofreading and copy-editing (Chapterhouse Publishing)
- Sub-editing (London College of Print)
- Advanced sub-editing (PMA Training)
Previous and current clients
I am currently sub- and production editor for EHN, Transport Times, Better Wholesaling, Primary Health Care and Nurse Researcher magazines.
- AB Communications (contract magazine layouts)
- Cambridge Newspapers (newspaper layouts)
- Carlton Books (copy editing)
- The Engineer (subbing)
- Financial Times (remote proofing)
- The Law Society (subbing and layouts)
- Legal Week (subbing)
- Omicron Publishing (finance magazine subbing)
- Retail Express (newspaper layouts and subbing)
- Retail Newsagent (newspaper layouts and subbing)
- Tesco Food magazine (subbing)
- UCLES (report layouts)
- Word-Wide Communications (subbing, remote proofing)